Sunday 7 February 2010

Vampire films suck

Dam you bloody Twilight. Far from being a good film, you’ve also started an insane craze for stupid vampire films and television programmes. I have no idea why it’s happened - maybe it’s because people saw Twilight and thought, “gee this is crap, I could do so much better if I made a vampire film.” I see their point about it being crap, but surely that should mean it should have just followed Gigli and Epic Movie and quietly disappeared into the embarrassingly bad film mist. But no, I’m never that lucky. Instead, the film was a huge success (for some weird reason) and now everybody wants to get in on the vampire scene. Blood: The Last Vampire, Cirque du Freak: The Vampire’s Assistant, and of course the second Twilight film, New Moon. Even teenage comedy Jennifer’s Body. Just a few of the vampire films that 2009 brought us. And that’s not including any of the television programmes either. Let’s see...True Blood, Being Human and new series The Vampire Diaries are among the many. I thought that this latest series might be the end of it all, but I thought wrong. Coming this year are the films Let Me In and, only in the pipeline at the moment, Dracula: Year Zero, in which Avatar’s Sam Worthington has been rumoured to star. After the major success of Avatar, let’s hope he makes the right decision. We all know what an amazing debut but bad second film can do to an actor. Alicia Silverstone comes to mind - Clueless was a big hit and then came The Babysitter (I hadn’t heard of it before either) and now where is she these days?! Anyway, point is, vampire films are getting boring now and if this carries on for much longer I might start hoping one will come and eat me.

No comments:

Post a Comment